1) Where did you begin 2015? At a really small house party that we showed up to about twenty minutes before midnight — we got held up eating pizza then being classy.
2) What was your status by Valentine’s Day? Long distance girlfriend of the best person in the whole world.
3) Were you in school anytime this year? If you count working in a school, yes. I was in TWO. And a university. All school, all the time.
4) How did you earn your money? I was an advisor for Engineering students who needed some fo’realz assistance with their writing and resume skills, then I was a private school teacher, and now I’m a high school teacher.
5) Did you have to go to the hospital? I had to bring a good friend of mine to the hospital because a ball hockey ball literally shot his eye out. The poor thing. He’s okay now though, thankfully.
6) Did you have any encounters with the police? Sort of. This one time I somehow accidentally locked myself onto my balcony and I had to call the RCMP to rescue me. So that was an “encounter”.
7) Where did you go on holiday? Nowhere extraordinarily exciting, but I did a romantic getaway to Revelstoke, hung out in Calgary, went to Bellingham and Seattle a few times and did stops along the way, I did an epic trans-Canada highway road trip from Edmonton to Vancouver, I went to Victoria on my favourite-ever day trip of all times, and I trekked back and forth numerous times between Vancouver, Kamloops and Jasper.
8) What did you purchase that was over $1000? Um… rent? Numerous plane tickets between Vancouver and Edmonton? #worthit
9) Did you know anybody who got married? I’m in my late 20s now. Everyone is getting married.
10) Did you know anybody who passed away? A few people — mostly loved ones of people I love.
11) Did you move anywhere? Yes. And I live there now.
12) What concerts/shows did you go to? Not as many as I have in past years, but this year I saw… Jerry Dee, First Aid Kit, Sleater Kinney, Ryan Adams (twice), Jenny Lewis, Kendrick Lamar, Black Pistol Fire, Father John Misty, Wilco, Spoon, Shovels & Rope, Future Islands, The Districts, Robert Plant, Sufjan Stevens, Tame Impala, Chromeo, The War on Drugs, St. Vincent, ScHoolboy Q, Royal Blood, Of Monsters and Men, Gogol Bordello, Madonna, a few Oilers games, and I think that’s it… most of aforementioned musicians I saw at Sasquatch. It was a pretty low-key concert year for me.
13) Are you registered to vote? Yes! And I voted in the election of elections this year.
14) Where do you live now? In a hotel, remember? It’s actually pimp. Or at least it will be when I have furniture and curtains that aren’t ugly and something to sit on and I’m not living out of huge IKEA bags anymore.
18) Describe your birthday. It was low-key. I worked the day of my birthday and the weekend before my boyfriend took me out for a couple of really nice dinners. He’s the best.
19) What’s one thing you thought you’d never do but did in 2011? Got a job… I’m the most grateful for that in my life.
20) What has been your favorite moment? The night of my one-year anniversary with the love of my life, and the Ryan Adams show in Vancouver in May tie for first.
21) What’s something you learned? I don’t need, or want, 29-year old toxic bitches who act like mean high school bullies on social media in my life. Even more than they think they don’t need me.
22) Any new additions to your family? My sister got engaged, if that counts.
23.) What was your best month? Hmm. Well this year, a lot of the months blended together but I’d probably have to go with May, I think. I had a great month of May.
24.) What music will you remember 2011 by? Watch Me (Whip/Nae Nae) by Silento; 1989 by both Taylor Swift and Ryan Adams; Hello, by Adele; Star Wars by Wilco; I Love You, Honeybear by Father John Misty; Loaded, by the Velvet Underground; and, pretty much anything and everything by NWA, Notorious BIG, or the Wu Tang Clan.
25) Who has been your best drinking buddy? Aaron. And my best everything-buddy.
26) Made new friends? Sure did!
27) Best NEW friend? I don’t pick favourites.
28) Favorite Night out? Either my anniversary night, or an awesome double date night I had just this past weekend with my sister and her fiancee.
29) Someone you liked? Made my year.
30) Have you kissed the one from question 29? Is the earth round?
31) Kiss any one of the same sex? Not this year.
33) Something you look forward to in 2016? Work; summer vacation; running another half-marathon; returning to Vancouver; returning to Maui; spending more time with the love of my life.
34) Where did you start 2014? In Vancouver, at a Great Gatsby-themed fancy party.
LASTs of 2015:
Last person you hugged? Aaron. ❤
Last person to call you? My sister, telling me something useful because other than people without cell phones that text (ie: my mom), who calls anyone anymore?
When was the last time you felt stupid? I think I answer this question by saying “I feel stupid every day” every year. And it’s never not true.
What was the last thing you yelled? Counting down numbers to the new year was more or less ‘yelling’ I suppose.
Did your appearance change this year? Ish. I gained some weight, then lost most of it. Nothing else new, here.
Did you grow emotionally? Yes. I learned to cut out people who make me feel like shit and I finally sought help for being somewhat of the wreck that I am.
Did you improve at anything? I’d argue my job.
Did you discover any new talents? I have a bit of a talent for storytelling, and I have a talent for baking. I reinvigorated my love of baking so hard this past few months. It’s been great and cathartic on top of being delicious.
Did you get any really cool presents? I got the most amazing Bose bluetooth speaker. And a necklace I pretty much never take off. I also used some Christmas money to FINALLY buy myself a KitchenAid stand mixer.
Did you get in trouble for anything? Financial trouble.
Did you get any awards? Nope.
What’s something that you’re proud of? My job, continuing to write and blog, continuing not to reward bad behaviour, focusing on what’s best for me down the road instead of in the moment, and that pretty much sums it up.
Did you do anything that you regret? This year? No regrets.
Did anything weird happen to you? Some private stuff I won’t share here, and because of my line of work, weird stuff happens every day.
Did you stay up all night? A few drunk nights. As I get older though, this becomes increasingly difficult.
Did you throw any parties? I had a super small Game of Thrones season premiere party. It was fun.
Did you get drunk? One of the worst hangovers in my life happened this year.
Did you get high? Not this year.
Did you do well in school? I hope so.
Did you have fun this year? Sometimes. Sometimes this year was really tough and I had a few tough mental breakdowns.
Did you lose any friends? Yes. Thank fuck. Byeeeeeeee.
Did you have any wild times with your friends? I think I’m finally at a point where I don’t have “wild times” with my friends anymore, at least in the same way as I did when I was 24 or 25.
Did you fight a lot with friends? Yes. The result of these fights ended up with me realizing they were never my fucking friends and they can suck my dick.
What’s a memorable time you had with friends? I had a great time visiting one of my best friends in Kamloops for a weekend.
Which friend did you hang with the most? I’d say all of them were pretty much equal this year.
Did you fall in love this year? I’ve been fortunate and blessed enough to have been in love all year long.
Did you have a steady boyfriend/girlfriend? Yes. I love my steady.
How many people did you date this year? One. It’s all I need. 🙂
Were you romantically happy this year? SO SO SO HAPPY!!!!
Did you kiss anyone this year? Yeps.
Were you happy being single this year? If I was single I would have been happy.
Did you have a summer fling? Nope.
Did anyone ask you out but you said no? Nope.
Do you have a boyfriend/girlfriend right now? I do.
Is one of your New Year resolutions to get one? I feel sorry for anyone if this is their legitimate New Years resolution. Get out more, ladies. Do you.
Did you get your heart broken this year? No. Hopefully I won’t next year either.
Who was the last person you kissed? Aaron
Last person you told “I love you”? Aaron
The last place you went? West Edmonton. Life is exciting.
The last thing you ate? Original Joe’s Dirt Pie. Best.
The last thing you drank? A coffee stout. It’s pretty good but now I feel kinda drunk.
The last person you hugged? Aaron. ❤
The last time you went to theaters? Without a word of a lie, it was Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Road Chip. Small town life when it’s -20 out equals, there is literally nothing to do.
The last person’s house you went to? Technically Aaron’s. I’m sitting there as we speak.
Name one memorable experience: My anniversary.
Name one inside joke from 2011: “I’m glad you had fun.”
What’s one place you wanted to go this year? Hawaii. That didn’t happen. But I went to Seattle a few times, and I love it there.
What’s one thing you’re really glad you did? Moved. It was SUCH a hard, depressing and at the time, miserable decision but it was something that really worked out and was best for me in the end.
What’s one thing you really regret? No regrets, again. But there was a lot of stuff I may have done at least a little differently if I had the chance to do it again.
Did you get arrested in 2015? Amazingly enough: still not arrested.
Did you get really sick? I had one of the worst hangovers of my whole life this year, if that counts.
Did you know anybody who got married? Not through 0 degrees of separation but I’m at a critical point in my life where everyone and their dog is getting married.
Did you meet someone that changed your life? Quite a few people, actually.
Did you meet anyone famous? I met the band Future Islands, which was pretty cool.
Did you dance in the rain? At Sasquatch kind of, I guess.
Did you skip school? I took a couple of sanctioned personal days from work if that counts.
What was the best movie you saw in theaters this year? Inside Out, or Straight Outta Compton.
What was your worst experience of 2015? My province-to-province move. It was rough. So, so rough.
What was your best experience? Working at something I care about. Every morning I woke up next to the person I love. Every road trip taken where I got to eat junk food and sing loudly, with or without company. Eating at Black + Blue one last time before moving from Vancouver. My one-year anniversary with the love of my life.
What was your best memory of 2015? The Ryan Adams concert in Vancouver, my anniversary dinner and the lovely, beautiful and deep conversations and evening that followed, getting hired, and realizing I’m more than people who were formerly in my life made me feel like I was.
What was your worst memory of 2015? Hard work days. Funemployment. Boring work days at my first job of this year. Moving away. Friends going through hard times. My boyfriend losing people who were close to him. Being in a long distance relationship.
Did you keep your New Year’s resolution from last year? To be honest, I don’t even remember what it was.
What is your resolution for this year? Save money. Live in the same city as my boyfriend. Run another half marathon.
Do you think it will come true? Yes.
If you could have 3 wishes for 2015? Everyone knows if you tell your wishes they don’t come true.
Was 2015 better than 2014? No. Definitely, definitely not. But I learned a lot this year. I rebuilt my life and transitioned out of one phase of it and into another. Change is hard. Big change and transition are hard. Pining for and longing for people close to you when you cannot physically be close to them in that moment is hard. Worthwhile though? Definitely. But still not very enjoyable overall.
Do you think 2016 will be a better year than 2015? Yes. I definitely, definitely do.